Today is the first day of the new school year. I’m probably more excited than ever, mostly because it’s another chance to improve. If the 10,000 hour rule has merit, I’d better step it up.
I will be more conscientious and deliberate in my attempt to…
1) Create more math discourse in class.
2) Slow down. Let learning happen. Flick it into action, but don’t force a forgery.
3) Use technology when it makes things better, not just digital.
4) Find even more of the good in kids. Find even more of the good in my colleagues.
5) Be more explicit.
6) Prepare like a feverish planning beast, but be ready to scrap it all if I pickaxe into an unanticipated pocket of education ore.
7) Celebrate my students’ achievements.
8) Approach content literacy in a newly appreciated way.
9) Renew myself throughout the year in tangible ways.
10) Be ready to fail. And then try again.